Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A continuing education on life, based on soaps

Do you know what I have discovered recently? That newspaper magnates are superb at lurking and growing beards. Todd Manning and Jack Deveraux should teach a course at the Soap Opera School of Life Skills Annex about hanging around in bushes, snidely commenting on their loved ones' choices, and having distinct Grizzly Adams facial hair whilst doing so. One assumes the Grizzly Adams facial hair is the only reason some random extra doesn't blurt "Hey, isn't that..." Well, that and the writing that keeps these captains of media unrecognized, even when they're only 15% hidden in any given scene.

And by the way, I'm returning to DOOL after probably five or six years, so forgive me if I absolutely refuse to learn some of these characters' names. For example, Stefano had someone hanging around him in Monday's ep. I can only assume it is one of his MILLION children. I believe he's the British one, so his name is, I think, EJ. But I'm going to call him Tall-y. Because he's real tall.

Other things on DOOL:
1) Judi Evans's hair is super cute.
2) ...there's something redeeming about Daniel, right? Because holy shit, he and Jennifer were nauseating throughout that episode. What are you two, 13 years old?
3) Maggie and Victor...who'd have thunk it.

4 comments:

  1. Nope, nothing redeeming about Daniel.

    Do you have a course catalog for the Soap Opera School of Life Skills Annex? I really to brush up on my talking loudly to myself about secrets in public places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an advanced course. You can take it only if you took the prerequisite in Having Dramatic Secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other confusing thing about EJ is that Stefano calls him Elvis and Bo and Roman and the rest of the Keystone Kops refer to him as Junior.

    1) Judi Evans hair is GREAT. I say it at least once an ep.

    2) Daniel is a good doctor? I guess that's his redeeming quality. Other than that, kind of a dick. Wait until you see his scenes with his daughter, Melanie. So gross. Half the time I think the writers are going for some incestuous plot there, they're so all over each other all the time.

    2b) Melanie is annoying too. She came on as a 16 year old, was quickly aged up so she could marry Philip and graduate from nursing school, but they still write her as a whiny teen.

    3) And yet! Maggie and Victor are one of the best couples on the soap at the moment! It may be because they are two of the best actors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snacky, Maggie and Victor seem really, really fantastic. I never thought someone could steal his heart the way Ma Brady had, but it's obvious he adores Maggie.

    Thanks for the heads up on Daniel. Commence hating with serious aplomb!

    ReplyDelete