Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Oh, I may not have a fancy degree from TV & Intellectualocity University...

...but I have 10+ years in Soap Opera Studies, and while some may claim that isn't applicable to all televisual studies, here's what it has taught me: if a guy's answer to the direct question "Do you love her?" is "[stammer] [deny] [blah words] [more stammering] [conspicuous silence]," then he is in love with her. 

So, other folks recap-blogging LOCI who presented this in a straightforward "Goren says Eames is like a sister, and that is clearly true, because why would anyone on a procedural show have actual hu-man emotions for another character as a result of years of established history, rather than conveniently created sexual tension readily dusted off and used as a ploy" way, I ask you: why wouldn't he admit, easily and comfortably, "Yes, I love her...like a sister?" Hmm? HMM?

You'd think some people hadn't watched scads of soaps and WB "dramas" in their youth. Honestly.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, seriously? People think that "WHAT!?" was genuine astonishment and not a deflection? That was a classic deflection! Did they also miss that when he said she was like a sister he might have been, you know, lying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I'm about to say comes with residual resentment from my teenage years in "The X-Files" fandom: the person who wrote the initial post started out the paragraph with something like, "I've never been interested in Goren and Eames as anything more than partners..." and I was immediately defensive and annoyed. Those types are always the "I don't own a television" lot of the fandom world, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorem might have been sarcastic but he was 100% right. Men and women can't be just friends... on tv, anyway. Duh. Anyone who has seen one hours worth of TV would know that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those types are always the "I don't own a television" lot of the fandom world, in my book.

    Ha! For real.

    ReplyDelete