Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Detroit 1-8-7 1x17, "Motor City Blues"

Spoiler alerts (so Miss Low Fat Dressing, you best avoid this post if you are still (a) behind)!

It's strange to think about how nuts I started off my relationship with Detroit 1-8-7. I was loooooooony for it when the season began. But due to events the show could not control--Southland being on the same day and time, and Southland slowly diverting the flow of loony to its reservoir of cuckoo tv feelings--and events the show could control (adding the blonde FBI agent, who has a name I refuse to learn; heading in the direction of Law & Order with its structure and mix-and-match cases), I find myself liking the show, but not looking forward to it like when I first began the season.

Last night's ep had examples of what I continue to enjoy, as well as things I wish they'd knock off.

What I Enjoy:
  1. The Longford/Mahajan partnership: I liked Vik's concern about Jesse's back, I continue to like the writing for them and how well it balances bickering and ball-busting with comfortable dude friendship. The end scene made me misty-eyed.
  2. Fitch's craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy eyes: Imperioli busted out some choice looks last night.
  3. The Lieutenant: even though I thought the opening on Det. Handsome's tribute poster was--okay, I was going to say "lazy," but it really wasn't, and I've been brain-fighting myself all day over whether Southland's similar-yet-very-different arc spoiled me or wore me out or what--something bleh, I think Aisha Hinds does a lot with the fairly static place in the show she is given.
  4. The Fitch/Sanchez stuff: it seemed a little too soon, but at the same time, the show has dropped enough hints that Sanchez has always been drawn to Fitch, so...I'm easy, really. Even if the actress playing her isn't always on fire, I like the two of them.
  5. The use of music: the opening song, which Google Machine tells me is Gnarls Barkley's "Who's Gonna Save My Soul?" was great; I thought "Falling" was an oddball choice, but I still love the song.
What I Wish They'd Knock Off
  1. Acknowledging that Fitch is crazy: they went way over-the-top having Fitch's son Bobby imitate all his quirks, down to his interrogation style, e.g. being right about someone.
  2. Setting up love triangles: forget it, Show, you will not make me buy FBI Agent Network Notes as a love interest, so drop it. Drop it right now.
  3. The cruddy paint-by-numbers cases: they've gotten more and more retread-y as the season progressed.
Alicia Coppola has done so much in her career, and yet I always recognize her as "that pretty brunette from Another World!"

As far as the Death of Det. Handsome goes, good night, sweet prince. You were handsome and stubbly and said your lines. I was never too invested in you, and it appears the show wasn't either. You die so that Fitch and Sanchez may live (though odds of a second season ain't looking so hot).

But despite all I've said, the pros, the cons, the references to Another World...


This was clearly the very best episode of television ever.

(Yes, I dl'ed a whole video file to make three screencaps; perhaps there is a crick of loony running through me after all.)

1 comment: