Saturday, March 26, 2011

Thursday Night Stories: P&R Edition

While The Office made me weepy, 30 Rock was my favorite kind of 30 Rock (Jack Donaghy is revealed to be as awkward and unprepared and pathetic as the rest of the TGS cast and staff), and Community was okay, but not my favorite, the ep of the night, for me, was Parks and Recreation:

Before

After
I love how he improvised spelling the rest of April's name--I believe by either wilting the grass with fire or spray paint?--after losing many of the rose petals (presumably while fighting a squirrel...)

I know it's the Internet Nerd thing to make statements full of overexaggerated sound and fury, signifying nothing, but Chris Pratt's physical comedy skills are up there with (pick one: John Ritter, if that's your bag; Mr. Bean, if that's your bag; some other comparison, if that's your bag) and I don't understand why he's not a bigger deal and getting nominated for awards. When he took a tumble down the hillside, then spun in circles shouting, "What was that? What was THAT?" I laughed so, so, so, so hard. Genius.

Plus his relationship with April is genuinely cute. He is always so good at Being in Love.

Another person good at that: Adam Scott

I was convinced, when Ben made the mistake of not bringing a tent, that this was the ep where Leslie and Ben would hook up. They had two perfect fanfic opportunities: camping and a (nightmarish) b&b. But why would you make moves on your lady love when you have Tom making you soft-serve ice cream cones...
I loved this episode because it combined the two things I love most about P&R: Leslie Knope as the glue of the department and Leslie and Ann's friendship. Leslie and Ann took turns supporting each other--Leslie by inviting Ann to come camping to get away from Chris, which didn't exactly work; and Ann by telling Leslie how smart and talented and creative Leslie is--and though Ron and Ben had their moments too, I think the Ann-and-Leslie connection is my favorite because it...is.

Other stuff I enjoyed:
1) The spectrum of reactions to Mrs. Krimp's 6:15 AM breakfast announcement
From l to r: Disapproval, Confusion, Delight
2) Jerry's love of all things wholesome
Only Jerry would enjoy German muffins and "Ode to Joy" on the harpsichord
3) Rob Lowe's egoless willingness to look foolish
4) Leslie's super cute pigtails
5) Ron: "We have nothing else to eat; Jerry scared the fish away with his loud, personal stories."
I loved the progression of Ron's whittling too.
So! Parks and Recreation! What did I forgot? Probably loads of stuff (Tom: "If that is a coyote, someone needs to pick me up off the ground immediately;" the headline "Harvest Best-ival" in the background of one of Leslie's talking heads; Donna reading Your Erogenous Zones and drinking Jim Beam at the B&B).

3 comments:

  1. There are clips of the P&R PaleyFest panel up on Hulu. Really fun, if you just ignore the moderator (Ausiello).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun. Very, very fun, particularly the suggestion that Louis CK and Adam Scott share scenes and Amy and Adam describing how they practiced kissing. Laughed so hard at Adam's delivery of "Hey, you wanna kiss?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann seriously needs more scenes with Leslie this season. But uh if it's a choice between that or Leslie/Ben scenes I'll go with the latter.

    Leslie: It's beautiful, but is it worth the asthma?
    Ben: No!

    ReplyDelete