Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Glee 2x16, "Original Song"

I'm going to try to be positive and say positive things. It's an exercise and a test, and let's see if I can do it.

  1. There was some follow-through with the Brittany/Santana subplot, which was very unexpected and, of course, both heart-wrenching and funny. I am trying to set reasonable expectations for this arc, but it's hard not to want more of the two of them.
  2. Every goofy f'ing face Mark Salling made throughout the episode. He nearly blew his lip-synching of "Big Ass Heart" in order to do some of the dorkiest shit he's ever committed to film (and I'm including last episode's head-jiggle during "Afternoon Delight"). That plus his emoting during Kurt and Blaine's duet made him the true MVP of the episode.
  3. The original songs were decent! I was expecting a noise hemorrhage of cliché and cringe-inducing mediocrity, and that didn't happen. I actually enjoyed "Loser Like Me" and believed talented kids may have put the number together.
  4. Mercedes and the whole group clearly had fun singing "Hell to the No."
There. I feel like I accomplished something.

But even if cute boys are making out, and one of those cute boys is Kurt Hummel, I still do not understand the appeal of Blaine. If they would let him be not flawless and perfect and immaculate for one moment, maybe. But his cover boy for Nonthreatening Boys bit is so bland. And if someone can explain to me what he saw in Kurt's performance that hasn't already been present and in front of him this whole time (and cram a sock in the "sometimes you are just like, hey, wow, there you are, soulmate" business), I'll...not relent and continue to complain. So really no one wins. Boo. Boo!!!

They really, really should have let Kathy Griffin write her own lines. That shit was weak-ass. Weak-ass. I could write better political satire/fun-poking, and I barely give a shit.

And I wish after Sue "hilariously" punched the lady announcer, they had done an homage to the greatest tv-to-movie adaptation ever filmed and done a Dragnet coda, followed by a MaMo rap.

Break until April! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

    3 comments:

    1. I know it disappoints the hardcore fans, but numbers 1-4 made this an enjoyable episode for me. Plus Trouty Mouth was deliciously mean and terrible.

      Mark Salling is having a ball with the Lauren story, and I think in general on the show. He's the comic relief, and he is working it.

      ITA about letting Kathy Griffin write her own lines. The whole judging scene was unnecessary and weird. So the whole point is that New Directions won not because of their songs but because the judges are bigots? YAY, New Directions! Well earned victory!

      ReplyDelete
    2. 3:12 AM?!?!?!?! Are you going to work today?

      "Ha ha ha witches. Ha ha ha Twitter. Glasses and a red suit." I mean, honestly, just referencing things or saying words that happened in the news doesn't make it a *joke*, guys.

      ReplyDelete
    3. LOL, the time is wrong. It was around 5. I got up on time today!

      ReplyDelete