Thursday, March 17, 2011

Justified 2x06, "Blaze of Glory"

Let me get this out of my system first:
Take me now! But know the truth!
I'm going out!
In a blaze of glory!
Lord, I never drew first but I drew first blood
I'm no one's son
Call me Young Guns II!!!

To start off this post,  I have to say I thought all day about ndnickerson's funny Tweet about Boyd's hair. But what bothered me was if the scale was based solely on Boyd's hair, or if it was a more general scale based on wildness and height of hair of film and tv characters. The scale I came up with was:


Note: some objects may be fuzzier than they appear.

I like the feeling that we're in the part of the chess game where the pawns are moving back and forth on the board before the onslaught of rook-to-whatever-I-didn't-really-pay-attention-to-the-chess-in-Chess begins. Boyd and Ava appear in the beginning, the Bennetts don't appear at all, and we're left with Raylan and Winona continuing their personal drama--and am I a dummy, or are they hinting Winona may be pregnant?--and an interesting b-story for Art and the old-timer convict.
I love Art's dialogue for the "chase" (of the convict who was oxygen tank-less, not shown) was basically "Shit," "Ass-hole," and "Was that necessary?" I love spending time with Art. He's a good boss and mentor to Raylan--knows when to respect Raylan's skills and when to call him on his hotheaded, petulant bullshit--and the rest of the team. He's a pragmatic, patient, smart man, and for once, I actually bought the scene where he magically shows up at the right time and the right place to catch the fleeing convict.

Speaking of Mister Raylan Givens and his hotheaded ways, sometimes I forget how good Tim Olypants looks when he's full of barely controlled rage. It was hard to miss while watching Deadwood, because Seth Bullock's default setting was "barely controlled rage." But last night, when that idiot bank robber was talking gross sass about Winona, and Raylan gave him one of these:


And this:



Yeah, that's the stuff.

(The conclusion of that picture story: Raylan socked that guy, then kicked him in the mug while he was down.)

So a good standard, biding-our-time-until-the-Harlan-implosion stuff starts rolling.

Roll credits:


I always forget Alan Ruck is in Young Guns II! And who is Brad Whitford? Surely not Emmy Award-winning Josh Lyman portrayer Bradley Whitford.

1 comment:

  1. hee. hooray for the hair-meter!

    and, if winona's pregnant... whew. i enjoy the super-hot raylan glower mode, though, so i am all kinds of in favor of the above picspam.

    ReplyDelete